Spicy Indian Halal Steak
Usually, we like our halal steaks cooked with just salt, pepper and olive oil. But every once in a while we need the extra flavouring to satisfy our halal meat cravings.
The marinade for this delicious Indian recipe is very spicy. You can reduce the level of spices by simply reducing the amount, or omit the cayenne pepper or mustard seeds if you aren't a fan of very hot foods. If you love spicy foods, of course, you can increase these ingredients!
What you need:
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 x 8oz halal rump steak
How to make it:
- Place the ginger root, onion, and garlic in a blender or food processor and blend or process until very finely minced.
- Grind the coriander and cumin seeds, cayenne pepper, salt, and mustard seeds in a spice grinder or coffee grinder until they are powdered. Stir the spices into the onion mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion and spice mixture; immediately reduce the heat to medium-low. Saute the ingredients gently over medium-low heat until they are very fragrant. Remove the onion mixture from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes. Then spoon the onion mixture on the steaks, turning the meat to coat. Refrigerate the steaks, tightly covered, for 2 to 24 hours so the ingredients can permeate the meat.
- When you're ready to cook, prepare and preheat an outdoor gas or charcoal grill. Remove the halal steaks from the onion marinade and cook over medium-high coals for 10 to 15 minutes or until the desired doneness, at least 145 F as tested with a meat thermometer. When the meat is done, remove it from the heat, place on a clean plate, and cover with foil. Let stand for 5 minutes. Slice the steak thinly across the grain to serve.
Serve and enjoy!
Follow us on our social media platforms for promos, discounts and amazing cooking ideas:
We deliver halal meat to your door, nationwide in the UK, EVERY Thursday!