The ultimate halal steak sandwich. We’ve added some greens and red pesto for a fuller flavour – midweek meals don't get much better than this.
What you’ll need:
2 packs of Halalnivore sirloin steak (4 in total)
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra (optional)
2 red peppers, seeds removed, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp red pesto
Juice ½ lemon
½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
4 thin slices sourdough bread
1 avocado, sliced
2 handfuls wild rocket
How to make it:
1. In a large frying pan, heat some oil over a medium heat. When the frying pan has heated up, add the sliced peppers and fry for 5 minutes. Lower the heat and then stir in the pesto and garlic. Cook all ingredients together until the peppers become soft and a bit charred.
2. Mix the lemon juice, mustard and 2 tbsp olive oil in a separate bowl. Add salt and pepper as per your taste. Keep aside, you’ll use this as a drizzle later.
3. Heat your skillet until it is smoking hot. Lightly brush some oil on the pan, then cook the steaks for 2 minute on each side for medium-rare. Don’t try and cook more than two steaks at a time. Set the steaks aside to rest for around 4/5 minutes
4. Toast the bread in the skillet for 1-2 minutes on each side until charred and crisp.
5. Slice the rested steaks into medium thickness ribbons. Put the sourdough toasts on 4 plates, then top with the pesto peppers, steak and avocado. Drizzle the lemon juice, olive oil and mustard mixture over the rocket and stir until is evenly coated. Put the rocket over the open sandwiches. Serve straightaway.
Check out everything Halalnivore has to offer and get your order in today!