If you're looking for the end-all, be-all of the finest halal steak recipe, your search ends here. Halalnivore’s halal steak version of this classic features a tender halal sirloin steak topped with mushrooms, then wrapped in puff pastry and baked to flaky, golden perfection. It’s simple enough to make at home, but fancy enough for the finest halal steak connoisseurs!
What you need:
1 Puff Pastry Dough Square
3 Thyme Sprigs
200g Chestnut Mushrooms
2 Halalnivore Halal Sirloin Steaks (Fat trimmed slightly)
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1.5 tsp Butter
Olive oil, Salt and Pepper as required
How to make it:
- Roast the Carrots - Peel, trim, and cut carrot into ½ inch pieces at an angle. Stem and coarsely chop the thyme. Place a medium oven-safe pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil and carrots to hot pan. Stir often until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Place pan on bottom rack in hot oven and roast until tender and golden brown, 15-18 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Remove from oven and season with half the thyme (reserving the remaining for the sauce), ¼ tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper. While carrots roast, sear steaks in step 2.
- Sear the Steaks - Pat steaks dry, and season both sides with ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper. Place a medium non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp. olive oil and lay the halal steaks on the hot pan. Sear until browned, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. All you are doing is locking the juices in for the steaks to finish cooking later. Use the same pan, no need to wipe clean. Slice mushrooms thinly and return the to medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp. olive oil and mushrooms to hot pan. Stir occasionally until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Season with ¼ tsp. salt and a pinch of pepper. Trim the fat off the sirloin halal steaks leaving a slight strip. Leaving a bit of fat allows the steak to retain moisture when being cooked in the oven later
- Prepare the Puff Pastry - Remove puff pastry square from refrigerator. Use the back of a knife to draw diagonal lines on puff pastry square, ½" apart. Draw another set of lines in opposite direction to make a crosshatched pattern. Halve puff pastry and refrigerate again. Place steaks on prepared baking sheet. Place about a third of the cooked mushrooms (reserve remaining for sauce) on top of each steak.
- Roast the Steaks - Place puff pastry over width of mushroom-covered portion of steaks. Stretch puff pastry slightly so it tucks under bottom of steaks. Place on top rack in oven and roast until puff pastry is golden brown and steaks look a bit browner normally 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and rest 2 minutes. While the cooked halal steaks rest, make sauce.
- Make Sauce and Finish Dish - Add 2 tbsp soy sauce and a little bit of water to pan with remaining mushrooms. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until liquid is reduced by half, 1-3 minutes. Remove from burner and swirl in some butter and the remaining remaining chopped thyme.
Send us your photos and videos and we'll feature them on our social media platforms. We love to see what our customers have cooked and eaten :-)
Follow us on our social media platforms for promos, discounts and amazing cooking ideas: