Halal Sausage Rolls (Lamb, Chicken and Beef)
Halal Sausage rolls really are the best soul food. With the light, flaky pastry and delicious meaty filling, perfect for an afternoon snack - enjoyable in the midst of winter and on long summer days - when life just calls for a good old-fashioned halal food hug. Try this easy recipe with Halalnivore's *NEW* gourmet halal sausages!
Double the batch size and you can freeze half for when you have impromptu guests.
What you need:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Pack of either Chicken, Lamb or Beef Halal Sausages - skins removed
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 4 Strips of halal beef bacon, finely chopped
- 1 x 320g sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Ketchup, to serve (optional)
- Crushed chillies, to serve (optional)
How to make it:
- Heat the oil in a frying pan set over a medium heat then cook the onion for 8-10 minutes until softened. Transfer to a large bowl and leave to cool.
- Add the halal sausage meat, mustard and halal beef bacon to the bowl with the onions and mix together. Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C
- Unroll the pastry and cut in half lengthways to make 2 long strips. Halve the sausage mix and lay each half along the long edge of one of the pastry strips in a thin sausage shape.
- Tightly roll up the halal meat in the pastry, finishing with the join underneath. Press lightly to seal the join. Brush all over with the egg and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Cut each roll into 4.
- Space the rolls out on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden, crispy and cooked through. Serve with ketchup mixed with crushed chillies, if you like.
Try some of these extra ingredients for a different spin on your halal sausage rolls
Fresh and zesty: Mix halal sausage meat with crushed fennel seeds, lemon zest and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle with a few fennel seeds before baking.
Fragrant and herby: Add fresh thyme leaves, chopped fresh sage and a grating of nutmeg to the sausage mixture.
Spicy and smoky: Fry chopped red onion and garlic over a low heat. Mix half the sausage meat with chopped parsley and smoked paprika. Sprinkle with smoked paprika before baking.
Saving for later:Freezing the cooked rolls is easy. Allow the halal sausage rolls to cool completely, wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil or store in a ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours to thaw completely. Place them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes in a moderate oven.
Send us your photos and videos and we'll feature them on our social media platforms. We love to see what our customers have cooked and eaten :-)
Follow us on our social media platforms for promos, discounts and amazing cooking ideas: