Halal Beef Pastrami and caramelised onion grilled cheese
A wholesome halal sandwich recipe that is sure to make lunch time a memorable experience. The caramelised onions provide a sweet edge to the salty halal beef pastrami and cheese. The crispy rye bread brings a nice crunch. Trust us, you'll want to eat this EVERYDAY!
What you need:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter plus more if needed
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 packs of Halal Beef Pastrami
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 4 slices dark rye bread
How to make it:
- Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add the onion and sprinkle with the sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Cook on low heat stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 20-25 minutes (to speed the process up you can cover the pan). Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the onions are extremely tender and the liquid is slightly syrupy, about 8 more minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Transfer the onions to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan add the halal beef pastrami and lightly crisp the meat until just warmed through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Lightly butter the outsides of all four pieces of bread. On the inside of the bread, divide half of the cheese between 2 of the bread slices. Top each piece of bread with equal amounts of hot pastrami, and onions. Top with the remaining cheese and then place remaining 2 pieces of bread on top of the cheese (buttered side facing out).
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and cook, pressing occasionally with a spatula until the bread is toasted and the cheese melts, about 4 minutes per side, adding more butter to the pan if needed.
Send us your photos and videos and we'll feature them on our social media platforms. We love to see what our customers have cooked and eaten :-)
Follow us on our social media platforms for promos, discounts and amazing cooking ideas: