Coffee is our best friend in the morning at Halalnivore HQ. We can't even operate without that caffeine coursing through our body! So this Monday morning we had a light bulb moment - if we love coffee so much and we love steak also, why not put the two together? Of course, we added some other things to the mix and made a well rounded rub for our halal steaks. This rub creates a mouth-watering, sweet and smoky crust that seals in the juices and keeps the halal beef tender.
It's easy, and uses things you can find easily in your kitchen. Give it a go and let us know how it tasted! :-)
What you need:
- 4 x Halalnivore halal ribeye steaks
- ¼ cup ground coffee or instant espresso
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Place ribeyes on a platter and set aside. Remember to
- In a small bowl, mix together coffee rub with a small fork until spices are evenly incorporated with the coffee and sugar. Rub mixture evenly on all sides of the ribeyes and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat grill on high heat. Grill 4-6 minutes per side for medium-rare or longer if you desire. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- And FINALLY, it’s time for the steak to rest for about 10 minutes. This allows the flavours to merge and the juices settle giving you a succulent steak.