BBQ season is in full swing! Try these 3 amazing halal bbq sauce recipes at your next bbq. They'll be sure to make you a master griller of your halal steaks.
Texas Style BBQ Sauce
Traditional Texas BBQ Sauce is a sweet and spicy mixture of tomato, spices and vegetables. This sauce is a bit old fashioned when compared to popular sauces of today this sauce takes a little more time but is definitely worth the effort with its rich flavour.
What you need:
1/2 cup water
1 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup minced onions
3 stalks celery chopped
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons spicy mustard
2 tablespoons honey
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons chilli powder
salt and pepper to taste
How to make it:
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion, and celery. Cook over medium-low hear for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so, no longer than that. Add the water and the remaining ingredients, stir and simmer on low for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
2. Remove sauce from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Pour into a blender and blend until smooth (about 15-20 seconds).
3. Marinade your halal steaks with a bit of olive oil and the sauce for at least one hour before grilling. As you grill, baste your steaks with the sauce as you go along.
You can store the sauce in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days after preparation. Warm slightly before using.
Coca-Cola BBQ Sauce
You might not think of a cola as the base for a barbecue sauce for your halal steaks, but the sweetness of the soda helps to enhance the flavours of the sauce. You can reduce the calories of this sauce with diet soda, but it will change the flavour.
What you’ll need:
2 cups Coca-Cola (or other similar cola drink)
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 onion large onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon black pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons chili powder
How to Make It:
Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook the sauce for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and let it cool for 15-20 minutes before using. If making ahead, let sauce cool completely and place into an airtight plastic container of jar and store in the refrigerator for 8-10 days after preparation.
New Orleans style BBQ Sauce
New Orleans style Barbecue Sauce is thinner and a bit more tangy in flavour. Being at the crossroads, St. Louis style barbecue has many influences, so there are a number of ways of making this style sauce. Give this version a try next time you grill, smoke, or bake some steaks or ribs.
What You'll Need:
2 cups/475 mL ketchup
1/2 cup/120 mL water
1/3 cup/80 mL apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup/80 mL
2 tablespoons/30 mL yellow mustard
1 tablespoon/15 mL onion powder
1 tablespoon/15 mL garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL cayenne
1/4 teaspoon/1.75 salt
How to make it:
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir occasionally and let simmer for 20/25 minutes. Sauce should be thin, but not watery.
2. Remove from heat and let sauce to cool, about 20-30 minutes.
3. Use immediately after cooling or store in an airtight container and refrigerate. Sauce is better if allow to sit for a day. Sauce can be stored in refrigerator for up to one week after preparation or 3-4 months in freezer.
4. Slather sauce onto your hala steaks 3-4 times toward the end of cook time. You can also serve extra sauce on the side for those who like a bit more.
Order a Halalnivore Halal Steak Lover box to try out all the bbq sauces. Or check out our full range of halal steaks, halal burgers and halal lamb products - delivered to your door, nationwide in the UK...EVERY Thursday!